Running the installation
Installing distributed rendering
Note: detailed installation instructions are included in the installation PDF guide.
Double-click on the installation file and follow the instructions. Note that the 64-bit installation of V-Ray will run only under a 64-bit operating system. The 32-bit installation will run under both 32- and 64-bit OSes. During the installation process you will be prompted for the root directory of 3ds Max, a directory where to install the V-Ray plugin files and a folder where to install additional files required by V-Ray.
Refer to the licensing section for information on how to set up your license once the installation is complete.
Please check the installation PDF guide for detailed installation instructions and troubleshooting.
You don't need to set up the render client, since it automatically takes part in the DR. For the render servers, follow the steps below. For more detailed instructions and trouble-shooting, please check the installation PDF guide.
1. If you have created a fresh install of 3ds Max on some of the machines that you want to use as DR servers, you will need run at least one Backburner job with these machines as a server, before you can use them for distributed rendering with V-Ray.
2. Install V-Ray on all the render servers you want to use for DR.
3. While render slaves do not require a separate license in order to render, you must tell V-Ray where to look for the V-Ray license server. You can do this either from the 3ds Max interface, or with the small external program setvrlserviceXX.exe, which can be accessed from the Start menu (Start menu > Programs > Chaos Group > V-Ray for 3dsmax > Licensing > Administration > Change V-Ray client license settings). See the licensing section for more information on how to set up the license for render slaves.
4. If you are using Autodesk VIZ for rendering, you need to create a file vrayspawner.ini in the root folder of Viz on each render server and add the following text in it:
AppName=<path to the 3dsviz.exe file>
Replace the text in brackets <> with the full path to the file 3dsviz.exe, for example C:\Program files\Autodesk\Viz2006\3dsviz.exe
5. On each render server, start the file vrayspawnerXX.exe (where XX is 60 ). The V-Ray installer creates a shortcut to this file in the Start menu (Start menu > Programs > Chaos Group > V-Ray for 3dsmax > Distributed rendering > Launch V-Ray DR spawner.
That concludes the installation of V-Ray DR on the render slaves. You don't need to start the vrayspawnerXX.exe file on the client machine, since it automatically takes part in the distributed rendering.
See the Distributed rendering section for more information.